Study in Australia
Study in Australia
In the past ten years, Australia has been one of the top study abroad destinations for Indians. Over 3 Lakh foreign students pursue higher education from Australia each year thanks to the availability of numerous world-class educational institutions that offer educational programmes and specialisations in numerous sectors. Seven Australian institutions consistently rank among the top 100 universities in the world, demonstrating the world-class curriculum and facilities they offer.
Students have access to a variety of international job options thanks to Australia’s outstanding reputation in education. International students have no doubt that the country is the best option due to its high standards of instruction, state-of-the-art facilities, unparalleled student exposure, and superior lifestyl
Did you know that Australia has produced 15 Nobel laureates?
EDUCATION IN AUSTRALIA
Universities and vocational training institutions (colleges of technical and further education (TAFE) and vocational education and training (VET)) make up Australia’s tertiary education system. Large-group lectures and small-group tutorials are typically the format for classes.
The Australian Government oversees the nation’s uniform system of qualifications, known as the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF). It unifies and ensures the quality of education provided at various levels in Australia so that students can transfer easily from one institution to another after finishing their previous level of study, as long as the student satisfies the requirements for a student visa.
The levels of qualifications awarded by Australian institutions of higher education according to the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) are as follows:
VET Education or Diploma Course (Year 1- leading to Degree – Bachelors direct into 2nd Year)
- Associate Degree
- Advanced Diploma
- Bachelor Degree
- Bachelor Degree (honors)
- Master’s Degree (extended)
- Master’s Degree (coursework)
- Master’s Degree (research)
Vocational and Technical Schools
Through a number of institutions, Australia offers vocational and technical studies, also known as TAFE and VET. Short courses, certificate programmes, diplomas, and higher degrees are all available at these institutions. These programmes are designed to prepare students for the workforce or to train them for a certain career.
TOP UNIVERSITIES FOR STUDY IN AUSTRALIA
TOP 10 UNIVERSITIES FOR FOREIGN STUDY IN AUSTRALIA ARE:
- Australian National University (ANU)
- University of Melbourne
- University of Sydney
- The University of New South Wales
- University of Queensland (UQ)
- Monash University
- University of Western Australia (UWA)
- University of Adelaide
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT)
- The University of Wollongong
TOP COURSES TO STUDY IN AUSTRALIA FOR INDIAN STUDENTS
Do you have any particular area of interest to study?
There is every possibility that Australian universities have you covered.
According to the students’ areas of interest, Australian universities provide a wide variety of courses and programmes. There are several alternatives available to students, whether they choose to participate in an undergraduate or graduate degree. For degrees in the social sciences, management, natural sciences, mathematics, life and agricultural sciences, clinical medicine and pharmacy, and physics, Australia is renowned.
Different degree courses to study overseas in Australian universities:
- Arts and Design: Literature, History, Psychology, Foreign Language Studies, Communications, Philosophy, Public Relations
- Education: Education Studies, Special Education, Accountancy Teaching
- Engineering and Technology: Chemical, Automotive, Civil, Telecommunications, Mechanical, Aeronautical, Mining, Environmental, Electrical, Electronics, Structural, Industrial, General Engineering, Computer, Mechatronics
- Hospitality and Tourism: Hotel Management, Commercial Cookery, Tourism Management
- Mathematics and Computing: Computer Science, Mathematics and Statistics, Computer-Based Information System
- Health Sciences: Nursing, Physiotherapy, Nutrition, Veterinary Science, Environmental Health, Public Health, Personal and Family Health Care, Pharmacy,
- Science: Pharmacology, Environmental Science, Chemistry
- Visual and Performing Arts: Art, Fashion Design, Music, Crafts, Performing Arts, Graphic Arts
- Agriculture: Agriculture Science, Forestry, Horticulture, Biotechnology
- Law and Business Administration: Economics, HR, Accounting, Commerce, Marketing, Management, Administration
STUDY ABROAD IN AUSTRALIA: WHEN AND HOW TO APPLY
Australian universities accept applications year-round for study abroad programmes. According to a university’s academic calendar, new students are often accepted in two intakes throughout each academic session, which typically occur in February and July or November.
However, since the visa application process requires a turnaround time of 1 day to 12 weeks, it is preferable to apply as early as possible. Depending on the institute, you should try to have your application finished and submitted by mid-November/late-December if you want to start your studies in Australia for the February intake. You need to finish your application by May if you want to be considered for the July intake.
Australian academic intakes:
- Foundation courses: Duration is 1 year and intake is in February (depends on the university).
- Vocational Education and Training courses: Duration is 6 Month-1year and intake are in Jan, May, June, Oct, TAFE Institutions
- Undergraduate courses: Duration is 3 years (4 years for honors degree) and intake is in Feb, July, and November, (depends on the university).
- Postgraduate/Masters courses: Duration is 1-2 years and intake is in March (depends on the university) Feb, July, and November.
- Doctoral degrees: Duration is 3-4 years and round the year intake as the supervisor or the project demands.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION IN AUSTRALIAN UNIVERSITIES
The general criteria for applications in Australian universities are mentioned below:
English language proficiency:
All applicants are required to take a recognized English language proficiency test. IELTS/TOEFL/PTE score is generally considered by Australian Universities.
- For undergraduate programs, a minimum IELTS band score of 6 with no less than 6.0 in each section is required and for post-graduate programs, a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 with no less than 6 in each section is required.
Undergraduate study in Australia
- High-school certificate or Year 12 of school education
- Academic scores with a minimum 60 % or above in class XII
- Mathematics in-class XII as a prerequisite(for some sciences and technology courses)
Postgraduate study in Australia
- Recognized undergraduate certificate or 15 years of education
- Strong academic background
- Relevant work experience (some universities require this for MBA programs)
DOCUMENT CHECKLIST FOR APPLYING IN AUSTRALIAN UNIVERSITIES
Following is the list of documents required for applying to universities:
- Higher Senior Secondary and Senior Secondary school Mark sheet and Passing Certificate
- Passport Copy
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE score (whichever applicable)
- Statement of purpose
- Portfolio of work (for courses in art, design, etc.)
Students are advised to apply as soon as possible.
STUDENT LIFE IN AUSTRALIA
Australia is renowned for providing students with sufficient opportunity to learn, develop, and travel in a multicultural and safe environment.
Safety for International students studying in Australia
Australia’s laws support high-quality education and provide protection for international students, regardless of what you are studying or how long you plan to study it for.
Australia has a relatively low crime rate and is one of the safest countries in the world for overseas students. Lanes are often clear, wide, and well-lit at night. In Australia, there are rigorous anti-gun and anti-drug legislation, and robberies and assaults are rare. International students’ interests are ensured and protected by a student support cell in Australian universities. They offer support and aid in addressing administrative or academic complaints, as well as medical care and other services related to students’ welfare.
Universities provide following support for international students:
- Language tuition
- International student counselors
- Visa application and processing assistance
- On arrival orientation programs
- Health, counseling, lodging and employment service